Hello once again! Since so many people showed interest, I've decided to spend some time and assemble the rules and some information about how to play. Please read through everything so you understand the style, what to do, and the basic plotline. Thanks!
It starts with a feeling. The colors around you seem wrong, off; sounds seem distant, artificial. You start to get the feeling that you're trapped in a dream you can't wake from; that nothing is real.
You may try to explain this to your friends and loved ones, if you have any … but you're unable to get the words out. So you try and break from the routine. If you're a hero, you may try to hurt someone; a villain, you may try to do some good. But you can't. Your life is on rails, and you can't break free. You're a prisoner, trapped in your own body, in a life that no longer seems to have purpose.
Until you hear a voice.
Wake, says the voice. And that is all. You reach out with your heart towards that voice; that voice which promises freedom, escape….
And then you Wake.
Welcome to Nautilus, the City of Change. A place where willpower is the key to true strength, and you can change the very fabric of reality. Welcome to a city where even the most average can become extraordinary. Welcome to the real world.
There are many tasks awaiting you in this city: some great, some small. What will you choose to do with the endless possibilities at your feet?
Come, Dreamer. Bring it closer to the Wake
The story of Nautilus is a fresh one, and can go in any direction you choose. Every story is connected, every decision matters, and everyone feels the repercussions from your actions. Keep this is mind as you journey, discover new worlds, bend reality, and shape the tale of Nautilus as it unfolds. Your imagination is the limit, so go awakened, and make your dreams come true.
The Wake takes place in the city of Nautilus, a vast sprawling wonderland constituted from every dimension and reality possible. The real world. As you journey, Nautilus will change and adapt, bringing you new horizons, dimensions, planets, and more to discover. Want to create a new planet called pillow? Go ahead.
Keep in mind that Nautilus is not the only setting however. There are multitudes of dimensions aside from yours, and Nautilus houses the gateways to all. What lies beyond these gates is a mystery, so feel free to discover, create, and explore.
Finally, be warned that Nautilus is prone to reality storms, caused by the influences of those that inhabit it. Should an awakened make such a drastic decision or action, all shall feel the repercussions. Reality storms usually last a week, with everything returning to normal after.
Every player starts as an awakened, a dreamer that has finally discovered reality. Awakened have the power of bending, which allows for the manipulation of reality. This manipulation affects gravity, matter, energy, appearance, and more. Each person has unique methods of bending, all of which are personally chosen. Some may choose to fly, others manipulate the elements, etc. After awakened have mastered the power of bending, they are alloted a role of their choosing in the society of Nautilus.
The messengers, record keepers, and couriers of Nautilus. Angelii can sense flaws in reality caused by bending, and can also sense incoming reality storms, no matter where they are. Awakened can choose this role after mastery of their bending.
The coders of Nautilus, who have the ability to fix reality flaws and reality storms. Unlike the Angelii, Ashura must be in close proximity of flaws to detect them, and because of this usually work closely with the Angelii to keep Nautilus together. Awakened can choose this role after mastery of their bending.
The watchers of Nautilus, who have the ability to see and manipulate the threads of destiny, strings that tie individuals and worlds to each other and to the universe as a whole. As such, most Deva specialize in finding and crafting new worlds or helping others along their journeys. Awakened can choose this role after mastery of their training.
Because this is a an open game, if you want to create a new role in the society of Nautilus, feel free to do so. However, if you create a new role, please be sure to describe what the role does and how it affects Nautilus, so that this may be updated and other players may choose it.
How to Play
First, players must choose an Original Character or a Fandom (Dr. Who, Transformers, Fire Emblem, etc.) Character to play as, and then create their first post introducing themselves to the wake community (this includes name, appearance, history, what your original universe is like, and any bending powers you have if you've already thought of that).
Playing itself is very simple. All you do is create a "Journal Entry" describing your adventure(s) in Nautilus. Just create a post, publish it to your personal blog, and be sure to add the tags thewake and tayrpg, so others can find it. These can be anything from partying with friends to discovering a new universe or blowing up a part of the city. It's all up to you.
On the third post, you will have gotten used to the world of Nautilus and can choose a role! Roles can be changed if you don't like the position you originally choose or if a new one comes along, but be sure to keep people updated! (You don't want to switch from an Angelii to a shopkeeper or something and then a bunch of Ashura say you showed them reality flaws in their entries... that'd be awkward :P)
Also, be sure to read others posts as well! They work just as hard on their stories as you do, and this way everyone is on the same page! Finally, check out the segment I'll be posting to TAY main summarizing people's adventures, the repercussions of their actions, and helping formulate a main story of sorts.
As we start and continue moving forward, if anyone has any ideas to help better the wake experience and make it smoother, please feel free to post on my wall or comment on this page!
These are all very basic and help smooth out everything, so please follow them.
1. No drama! Be nice to other people and their posts. Don't leave angry or derivative comments. This creates a player friendly and welcoming atmosphere, which is what we all want. If there happens to be a problem, please notify me or one of the TAY admins so it can be sorted out.
2. Keep it PG (or PG-13 at most)! There's not really any reason to include lots of swearing or graphic depictions of violence or really any sex either... These things can easily offend other people and can also hurt what your writing if its too bad. Really think about it this way: if it were posted to TAY main, would you be ok with people reading it?
3. Don't do anything that will hurt seriously hurt another players character! To say "___ got bruised helping me fight an orc" is a lot less severe than "___ got thrown off a cliff and painfully died while helping me fight an orc". Same goes with emotional stuff. Simply put, don't do anything to other characters you wouldn't want done to you.
4. Don't make a perfect character. It's kinda boring to have someone that does everything perfectly all the time and doesn't have any problems... each character should have their own set of strengths, weaknesses, problems, thoughts, etc.
5. Keep a self-limit to your characters. There's no set amount of characters you can have, but if you have multiple be sure to use them or post occassionally. Don't make 24 starting posts and only use 2 characters :P
6. Have fun. No, really :P This is all about bringing together the TAY community and helping to serve as another way for us all to have fun.
I leave it up to you now, awakened. Go forth, and discover Nautilus!