Come join us in the Ani-TAY Café: your stop for discussing all things anime, manga, visual novels, and anything Japan. This week the Café is discussing shows that everyone hates, but you still enjoyed. Come by and talk about everything with us.
Header from Gundam SEED Destiny.
There's a hell of a lot of Ani-TAY stuff this week!
Around the Café:
- Your (Almost) Daily Ani-TAY News
- World End Economica Episode 1 Available on Steam
- Maybe it's just me...
- Anime No One Watched: SKET DANCE
- Rockmandash Reviews: Muv-Luv Extra & Alternative [Visual Novel]
- Understanding the Makings of a Video Game Story
- Eiyuu Senki: The World Conquest Coming to NA and Europe
- Your Daily Ani-TAY news
- If your life were an anime, what would it be like?
- Ani-TAY Blip: Satsuki Kiryuin Nendoroid is Coming
- Newest Fate/stay night Trailer Now Available in HD
- Ever finished an Anime, then continued on with the Manga?
- Woady's Anime Talk: Summer Anime Shows to Check Out
- Ani-TAY News: May 8, 2014
- Koda's Top 10 Spring 2014 Anime Openings
- Poll: The Best Anime of Spring 2014
- Got bored, decided to write something about Soul Eater Not!
- Ani-TAY News: May 9, 2014
- Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed Includes Dual Audio and More
- Ani-TAY Podcast Episode 2 : B-b-b-b...Baka!!
- Nendoroid Red Is Coming!!!
- AniClub: Durarara: Reanimated! (Ep. 6-9)
- "Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax" Adds Miyuki Shiba and Taiga Aisaka to…
- TAYnami - Ultimate Cliché Edition
It's a big community out there and there's a whole lot of opinions out there. Sometimes we all polarize and argue over the merits of a show incessantly and never come to a conclusion. Other times everyone agrees that a show sucks and you should stay far away.
...Almost everyone anyway. You show up and watch this terrible show only to be pleasantly surprised by just how decent it is. It's the opposite of hype backlash: you were so absolutely prepared for something mindbogglingly stupid and terrible that it couldn't possibly get any lower, and it wasn't quite that bad. Sure, it might be bad, but maybe it has some kind of charm to it that you just can't quite dismiss entirely.
That's basically what happened to me with Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny. Everyone on TAY panned it incessantly and some called it the worst of the Gundam shows. Everyone hated it and everyone really gave it a hard time.
After I finished Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, I took on Destiny because I wasn't about to leave things half-done. No matter what people tell me, I'm in this for the long-haul. If the story continues, I want to see it, no matter how bad it is.
I'll be honest, when you put Destiny next to SEED, it is pretty bad. The characters are all over the place, character development from SEED gets ported over to Destiny with mixed results, and the overall plot takes forever to get going. That said, it still isn't the worst Gundam show (that's Gundam AGE you hillbillies). Hell, it's still pretty entertaining all around and it ended up being an infinitely better way to spend time compared to some of the other shows I was watching at the time.
It oozed a certain degree of camp, had terrible new characters, and it had some pretty bonkers plot advancements that made little sense, but it made up for it with its moments of awesome, the soundtrack, and an ending that makes me want that Gundam SEED movie so damn much.
So there's today's topic: Have you seen a show that was panned by a whole ton of people and somehow still managed to like it?
Don't like today's special? Well there's plenty on the menu, so take a walk around the Café and talk with the other customers. Talk about anything.
Want in on the Ani-TAY action? All you need to do is follow this tutorial and tag your article with Ani-TAY in addition to the other tags you see fit. Also remember that the Café has a selection of image assets for your Ani-TAY writing needs and spreadsheets for coordinating with your fellow Ani-TAY writers.
Come join Ani-TAY on MyAnimeList too! We've got forums set up to discuss the ongoing anime this season and you'll get a sneak peak at the Ani-TAY community views on shows of the season long before the reviews come out.
Remember to visit TAYnami for even more weekly discussions about our favorite medium: anime.
Get in touch with Dexomega or Fruity (vespire50) on Skype so you can get added to the Ani-TAY group. Among other things, the Ani-TAY Podcast may just randomly pull from this group to participate in the After-Hours segments.