DmC: Devil May Cry is one of the best games of its genre I've played in a long time. As I mentioned before, I've played other DMC games before... But they didn't impress me nearly as much as this newest game. If I'm going to be honest here, DmC blows what little I played the other games in the series out of the water.
What makes it so different? Well, it's 4am, so I'll do my best to jot down a few points.
- The boss fights are amazing. Seriously. Some of the best I've played in YEARS. Easily the highlight.
- The combat is really great. I remember one of my big problems with the other DMC games was how difficult it was for a newcomer to walk in and whip off combos (and not die), but DmC had a combat system that does a much better job of teaching you how to use it than previous games in the series. I had a lot of fun with it. dat scythe tho.
- The plot is actually good. VERY rare to see in a AAA action game.
- The humour is spot-on. I laughed out loud during several scenes; mostly because Dante is a dick. He's developed as a character, but he doesn't lose his wit, which is awesome.
- The action makes you feel like a fucking badass, but it never crosses the line from "awesome" to "goofy", which a lot of action games in this style struggle with.
- The drama is actually good. There's no scenes like this one:
I also picked up another Capcom button masher recently (Asura's Wrath), and if that's as good as DmC was, I might have to reduce the amount of utter contempt I have for this company. And if it was good purely because of Ninja Theory, well, there's a copy of Enslaved there too.
Here is an updated list of my backlog: http://backloggery.com/pyramidheadcra…
I've decided my next game will be a long RPG, but I have a LOT of options to choose from. it's sort of been my main point of neglect with the backlog, because it's been hard to saddle myself with a looooong game, usually packed with filler. But I'll stomach it!
Some of the games I'm considering...
- Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (Genesis)
- Landstalker (Genesis)
- Terranigma (SNES)
- Fire Emblem 3 (SNES)
- Fire Emblem 4 (SNES)
- Star Ocean (SNES)
- Tales of Phantasia (SNES)
- Front Mission 3 (PS1)
- Star Ocean 2 (PS1)
- Wild Arms (PS1)
- Legend of Mana (PS1C)
- Legend of Dragoon (PS1C)
- Suikoden II (PS1C)
- Wild Arms 2 (PS1C)
- Wild Arms 3 (PS2)
- The Last Story (Wii)
- XCOM: Enemy Unknow'd (PS3)
Any of those stand out as absolute must-plays? I'm probably going to sit down and get started after cleaning a bit tomorrow, so pick me a good one!
- Pee Aitch Sea