Welsh Rarebit is typically toast with a cheese sauce. As some of us are in 'murica, that's not going to be enough food. So my idea is to maintain the toast and cheese and also add in a hamburger. Because everything's better with beef. Unless you're a vegetarian, then it's not.
Anyway without further ado...
If you went path 1:
Microwave and put together. I think you can figure it out.
The Alton Brown Method:
- 1/2 cub of Porter style beer
- 3 tbs Butter
- 3 tbs Flour
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard (you should have some left over from when you made cubanos. Right?!)
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar
- (optional) hot sauce
- Sourdough hamburger rolls
- (optional) bacon
- Hamburger meat and whatever spices you want to add to the meat (I'm just going plain hamburger with some diced onion + salt/pepper)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grill/saute/fry up your hamburgers, put them in the oven on warm. (Now's the time to make your bacon as well if you want it)
- You're going to have to make a roux. This is probably one of the most important and touchy kitchen techniques you can learn to do. If you don't do this right don't worry it will still be fiiiinnnneeee, but a good roux is hard to find.
- Anyway, make a roux. In a saucepan mix flour and butter. Whisk constantly until it is light brown and it begins to smell like it's burning. When I went to Louisiana and took cooking classes, they told me the #1 mistake people make is they think their roux is going to burn and they don't cook it enough.
- Whisk everything but the cheese together until smooth. Slowly add the cheese a handful at a time and whisking until it is melted and smooth. Adding all the cheese at once will make a clumpy gross mess.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer while you toast the buns. Toasting the buns means you will mitigate a lot of the sloppiness as the bun isn't going to fall apart on you and also it keeps the recipe true to the original Welsh Rarebit roots.
- Pour copious amounts of sauce over your hamburger and sandwich between the buns. Don't go easy here. If you're typing in the AIM chat either you're doing it wrong, or your keyboard looks like this.
Did you lose your appetite?
UPDATE: DEAR GOD SORRY! Didn't label the amounts in the recipe. Try again Aikage. Try again. I updated with the amounts.