Last night I talked with my BF and looked up a few RenPy tutorials as to achieve the effect I wanted. It looks like it wouldn’t be as difficult as I first thought. I just need to define some variables, and then write a condition where paths aren’t unlocked if the conditions aren’t meant, or will lead to specific endings.

I’m going to do a bit more research and testing, and I won’t know if I did it entirely right until I finish writing the first act. The writing itself has slowed down a lot because it’s less centralized than the prologue. The prologue basically introduces the story and sets up the plot and objective of the game, but decisions to go down paths don’t happen until the first act. That means I have to write a lot more decisions.

This again is where comics are a lot easier. There’s a single end and a single path. With VNs I have to basically go back and write the same scene multiple times, with different reactions. It’s not hard, but as a write I now have to balance how much writing I use to tell the story, but not so much that by the time you get to the decision portion you get fed up. At the same time I need to give player enough info so they can decide what they want to do when the time comes, and still keep the world interesting.

And still plan all the conditions in terms of coding. Again with the multitasking!

I’ve been doodling around and getting more reference images instead because I’m hovering around a case of writer’s block. Nothing worth showing. Just a lot of warm up doodles to clear my head.

Advertisement

I think I’m going to stall a bit on the first act until the prologue is finished coding.