With the past three months seeing the release of Final Fantasy Type-0 (and that demo nobody cared about), Bloodborne, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt we’ve seen a release schedule sure to please many gamers regardless of the various issues each game has. However being gamers looking in the past is so last week, who cares if The Wild Hunt has almost certainly sets the bar for the current generation in terms of ambition and scope we have it in our hands now and because of that it’s old news.
So I’m going to do what I often do after I first put in a disk in and play for a few hours of a new game, look to what is coming next at the games that I want now more then anything in the world. I’m only going to be adding actually announced games meaning no Fallout 4 or any expected games so this list could get significantly longer come E3 and Tokyo Game Show (although its seeming focus on mobile games has certainly lessened my excitement). Personally I’m hoping I see something I’d want from Western developers out of E3 as this list is certainly from the East.
1) Disgaea 5: As a fan of the series starting with Disgaea 4 I’m a relative new comer to the series. However Disgaea 5 really looks to be a step up, unlike most games Disgaea 5 looks to the new generation not with the goal of bumping up graphics but the goal of bumping up EVERYTHING else. More enemies, more flashy attacks, more jokes (I’m assuming) all in it looks to be an interesting game regardless. While already released in Japan North America still awaits for a formal release date announcement although rumors had said an October release date NISA has denied this.
2) Star Ocean V: Integrity and Faithlessness: Not going to lie I actually enjoyed Star Ocean IV despite it’s obvious flaws (characters, dubbing, absurd story, ect) so waiting has been quite hard. Beyond that the fact for the longest time I felt this franchise was dead and buried along with the console development side of Tri-Ace gives the game almost a Lazarus kind of feel. However of course there is signs of worry the first being the fact it’s coming to the PS3 as well meaning a truly current generation Star Ocean isn’t coming anytime soon. In the end I’m looking forward to it and getting my hands on another Tri-Ace RPG will be a long time coming. Also please no more “Edge Maverick’s” Kayyy...
3) Tales of Zestiria: I’m a big fan of the Tales series and any entry in the series is something I look forward to however after (in my opinion) the lackluster Tales of Xillia 2 I’m looking forward to the next console iteration of the series. This is mostly due to the fact the game represents the longest gap in release time between a Tales game since Vesperia and Graces F; I suppose absence really does make the heart grow fonder. Beyond that I always like seeing a game that causes a controversy in Japan just to see what all the fuss is about. Right now I’m really hoping that PS4 version rumor pans out.
4) Xenoblade Chronicles X/ Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem or “Nintendo is making me reach for my wallet”: Seriously these two games alone could make me buy a Wii U if they ever see the light of day here in North America. Honestly they both look really fun and while the Wii U is technologically inferior to the PS4/XB1 Xenoblade really makes it seem like that isn’t an issue as the beautiful scenery and art direction is a beauty to look at. Once again showing a game doesn’t need to have a high polygon count to look amazing.
5) Persona 5: Persona 4 Golden was the reason I bought a Vita... when it was it’s old price and the memory cards were insane. To say I love Persona is an understatement. This game can not come fast enough.
After basically skipping an entire console generation Persona 5 is launching at a high water market in the franchise. Thanks to popularity of the anime adaptations, other SMT games, and the overwhelming critical success of P4G, Persona 5 has a lot to live up to. Can it live up to the hype, who knows but considering Atlus seriously hasn’t flopped in recent years with their flagship series and has had some serious hits (SMT IV is an amazing game and one of the best RPG’s of the past few years in my opinion) there is a very good chance I feel Persona 5 could be everything we hope it to be.
6) Tokyo Xanadu, Ys Next, and Fire Emblem If: These get bunched together as they just feel a long way off (in Xandadu’s case it may never come as Xseed is working hard on other things) however they each look amazing in their own way. If I had to choose Fire Emblem If is the one I’m most excited and hyped for but who know’s Ys Next could creep up the list especially once Falcom starts reminding people the game actually exists...
Well that is my list of what I’m expecting and waiting for in the next little while. Also you probably noticed I’ve left off some HUGE games from this list like Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV, ect why I did this I’m not really sure. It’s just that they’ve been known quantities for so long now the luster has worn off it’s shine. To be honest the Final Fantasy game I REALLY want is Type-Next which we wont be seeing for years if ever knowing Square Enix. Anyways I hope you enjoyed reading it post in the comments what you’re looking for or if I’m a fool for waiting for any of these games.