If you're like me, you save your best laziness for Sunday. For many it's the most opportune day to lay about, nap, snack, game, and move as little as possible. It's also a great day to review games in the simplest form imaginable.
This week I've been playing Rayman Legends for the Wii U. A lot. I've put in about 12 hours of play in the last three days and rescued over 400 Teensies from the despair of their iron cages. Legends is also available for PS3, Xbox 360 and Vita. Here's my break down.
- The stunningly beautiful art style.
- The toe-tappingly amazing soundtrack that can also be so mellow and haunting at times that it nearly brings me to tears.
- The sheer amount of things to collect and unlock.
- Clever level design.
- A wonderful new female character and many many new skins for classic characters.
- Fluid controls.
- A great multiplayer set-up (especially for couples and parent-child teams).
- Use of the Wii U's touch controls.
- Challenge Mode.
- Amazing music-focused levels!
- Increasing difficulty.
- Characters have all their moves and abilities right off the bat.
- Tons of bonus levels from the original Rayman Origins.
- Blazing fast load times.
- Hilarious levels tiles like "What the Duck?" and "Snakes on a Cake"
- Legitimately funny action sequences and references.
- The fact that you can't play single player with just the Pro Controller.
- Collecting "Creatures", which don't really serve any purpose.
- Lack of co-op online play.
- I have to stop playing it at times.
Yawnclusion: Buy this game and play it. Now. It is possibly the best 2D platformer of the last ten years. It's slick, funny, and just an extremely enjoyable adventure on the whole. The amount of detail that went into the environments and the overall feel of the game is phenomenal. My current GotY and a wonderful addition to any gamers collection.