Updated with information that was promised earlier. There is actually quite a bit... no release date for either SC or Cold Steel though...
According to XSEED Trails of Cold Steel and its sequel Trails of Cold Steel II a side series of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is coming to North America and Europe. The game will be brought over for both the Playstation 3 and the Playstation Vita. The announcement has seemed to have been made by via XSEEDs twitter account. As a fan of Trails in the Sky and Nihon Falcom in general this has made me extremely happy. Who said the Vita was dead again.
According to the twitter account there will be more information regarding the Legend of Heroes in general and Trails of Cold Steel in particular coming in time. Here is hoping for a release date of Trails in the Sky SC... what this means for Trails in the Sky Third Chapter is of course unknown.
Updated Information: As promised by XSEED here is the new information. I’ll be posting some key highlights from the blog posting here:
- The name was decided upon mostly because it sounded cool and the more literal translation Trails of the Flash just didn’t sound right. Beyond that apparently a really cool battle theme is called “The Glint of Cold Steel”
- Falcom approached XSEED about localization, not the other way around. Which seems to bode well for further localization collaborations and is very good for the future of the franchise. Which previously was up in the air at best...
- Why Cold Steel and not some of the old games. Basically long story short accessibility. Cold Steel seems to have a younger audience. I’m also guessing the fact it’s on the PS3 and PSV helps things out as people do like newer looking games after a
- On the PSP Issue...
The simple answer is this: Zero and Azure started as PSP games and by the time we would have finished both of them, the PSP will have long been dead as a viable platform. Even though we’re working on Trails in the Sky SC for PSP now, all the effort going into its PSP launch is a labor of love, not profit.
- Will Trails in the Sky SC come out before Cold Steel? Yes, “...you will be able to thoroughly enjoy the conclusion to Estelle and Liberl’s story before Cold Steel’s launch.”
- Trails of the Sky SC is in QA and almost ready for launch, Trails of Cold Steel is translated (the biggest hurdle for these games) and working towards finishing the script for Voice Acting. Trails of Cold Steel II is of course also confirmed and on the way
- Oh ya and one more thing... I know a lot of you guys really feel this is important. XSEED has confirmed a digital and physical release for both Playstation Vita and Playstation 3.
Even more edits...: From the XSEED Forum on the Second Chapter Delay
...While it’s true both were being done simultaneously for a while, the actual fact of the matter is... Sen has less text than people give it a credit for. Only about as much as Trails in the Sky FC, and nowhere near SC (and Sen 2, by all initial reports, has less text than Sen 1!).
It’s still a LOT of text, and has been worked on for many, many months already... but compared to SC, it’s a breeze. After Rune Factory 4 and Story of Seasons, we’ve really upped our game when it comes to handling titles with massive amounts of text. We have it down to a science now (and that science is called “give-it-to-Nick-ology”).
Further Edit (Via Siliconera):
Taking place on the same continent as fan-favorite Trails in the Sky, Trails of Cold Steel is the first game in the series to tread Erebonian soil and explore the inner political conflicts of this oft-mentioned powerhouse in detail. With a standalone story that also delves into the expansive lore that has become synonymous with the series, players take on the role of military students at a time of great turmoil, enjoying school life and bonding with fellow students to earn new abilities in battle, then utilizing those abilities via speedy, tactical turn-based combat with the newly-developed “ARCUS” system.
Edit: Their list so far... Via Twitter