You’ll be happy to know that I finished it in time for Christmas!! It was a close call but the final coat of sealant dried by Christmas Eve and I was able to wrap it up for Chester on Christmas morning.

Garage from the back with lots of adverts!

I’m so pleased with the final result I can’t even tell you! I’m so relived that it all came together in the end as well. As you can see the finished garage is pretty close to my initial design and I’ve managed to include all of the different elements I originally planned for in some way.

Advertisement

Mario filling up

Advertisement

I’ve got lots of Mario Kart toys that will go with the garage

The Yoshi eggs have ended up being mounted onto golf tees and sit in holes along the top of the main sign – they are removable as is the ‘Mario carrying the tire’ sign. I thought Chester would enjoy taking them out and moving them around. The oil barrels and the ‘? blocks’ are also loose and can be stacked in different places etc. One of the elements I’m really pleased with is the ‘worn look’ of the paintwork on the walls and floor.

Advertisement

The underneath/inside also has some graphics

Bob-omb!

I finished it off with a couple of coats of Mod Podge matte sealant (thanks again Eli Gold’s Wig) which is going to make it splash proof but also ties the finish of the whole thing together as I’ve used different paints on different elements.

Advertisement

The coloured tires along the edge are all screwed down as are the petrol pumps – they are really solidly fixed and hopefully won’t break off. The main weak points are the Yoshi eggs and the Mario tire sign – I can see these being snapped within a couple of weeks of him using it I think!

Advertisement

Finally! Chester playing with his new garage on Christmas Morning!

Overall I estimate the materials have cost me about £50 and I’ve probably spent 40 hours making it.

Advertisement

I hope you enjoyed reading my build diary and if anyone has any questions or wants to know any more details then just ask in the comments!