I'm really feeling it!

Mushroom Pokemon


Whew. I am tired! My eyes and hand hurt...This one has got to be one of the most time consuming pieces I've done thus far...And I hope it shows! Parasect is one of those designs that look worse than its predecessor...Its rather plain, isn't it? A giant mushroom shell on top of two eyes with pinchers and some legs. Paras had teeth at the very least!


However, there is a reason as to why the original design is such. The concept is based off of the parasitic fungus of the genus Cordyceps...Concepts you might have seen in the game The Last of Us. By the way, I still haven't gotten to it (its sitting here in my house, being neglected thanks to GTA and Pokemon, and my art projects of course) so don't say anything about the game please, thank you!

The idea of Parasect is...Well, that its a ZOMBIE! DUN DUN DUN. Yep, how appropriate with Halloween at our doorstep? I wanted to use this aspect as inspiration for my piece...However it didn't quite pan that way as you can see. It would be too seasonal, and it could have worked but I found a direction I liked and went with it.

As I stated, the original Parasect is rather boring. The focus being the mushroom cap on its back, I decided to step it up a notch...A few levels over 9,000 as you can see. I decided to make the carapace infested with mushroom upon mushroom. Originally, there were only a few and they were very horizontal in nature...It slightly felt phallic after a while which prompted me to add various styles of mushrooms, round ones, elongated horizontally, small caps, large caps, and so on.


I built the work layer by layer, adding more complex branches and selecting warm colors like the original to color. The work wasn't very tedious, but time consuming. I changed up the styling of the legs, making it more insect like and just more creepy/nasty looking, as well as upgrading those pincers and adding some bits on the face to make it look a bit more intimidating. The eyes were left without pupils to show that it was dead and without life as is the case with the original.


The final steps to this work was to start individualizing each mushroom. I had to balance out how they were colored, spreading out the palette of colors and giving them unique properties, between stripes both horizontal and vertical spots of various sizes such as circular and oval shaped, and more. I was ready to call it a day but something felt missing. What it was is the moss that you see growing all over the creature. As originally I wanted it to be very Last of Us like with greens and fungus growing in between the mushrooms, I thought to leave it out to keep it warm with a limited palette. However, I soon found the green was very liberating to the color set up and here we are!

Hope you enjoy the work and as always, thanks kindly for reading and viewing! I appreciate you all doing your best to share the project and I hope to see you tomorrow for a new piece of art!




+ Pokemon One a Day is a series illustrated and curated by Bonny John in an effort to represent the the first generation of characters from the world wide phenomenon that is known as Pokemon. The idea is simple - to draw and share one new Pokemon a day (weekends off!) until every Pokemon from the set is completed. This project is an exploration of fine art styles for learning and leisurely purposes.

+ Links to my YouTube, FB, Twitter, DeviantART, and Tumblr can be found on my official website


+ If you wish to share on Tumblr, please reblog from the original source

+ Yesterday's Pokemon Illustration

Share This Story

Get our newsletter