So this week, Guitar Hero Live decided to update on Tuesday. Getting real tired of your shit, Activision.
Due to it being Thanksgiving weekend and the fact that I have to work extra hours all week, I’ve barely had time to do much of anything. Luckily I managed to put this together real quick for you guys.
Rock Band 4
THERE IT IS. Van Halen has been announced to be getting DLC for quite some time, so it’s pretty exciting to finally see that arrive. Now we just need that U2 DLC that was promised, and everything will be wonderful. The songs are available individually at $1.99 USD, and as a pack for $9.99 USD. Gameplay videos done by Spectre’s Rock Hero.
Van Halen Hits 01
- “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” (gameplay)
- “And the Cradle will Rock...” (gameplay)
- “Dance the Night Away” (gameplay)
- “Hot for Teacher” (gameplay)
- “Runnin’ with the Devil” (gameplay)
- “Unchained” (gameplay)
From the announcement:
With more than 80 million records sold, Van Halen has earned its place as one of the most popular rock and roll bands around the world. With the unmatched showmanship of vocalist David Lee Roth, the mind-blowing technical expertise of guitarist Eddie Van Halen, and the thundering drums of Alex Van Halen, the group’s music is the perfect fit for Rock Band’s four-player, full-band gameplay.
Van Halen just finished a blockbuster North American tour, concluding with a heralded two night stand at the Hollywood Bowl. Earlier this year, the band released newly remastered versions of their first six studio albums as well as Tokyo Dome Live In Concert, their first live album with Roth.
The “Van Halen Hits Pack 01” includes highlights from early in the band’s career, from “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” from the group’s 1978 self-titled debut to 1984’s memorable single, “Hot For Teacher.” This essential pack is rounded out by four other heavy hitters, including “And The Cradle Will Rock…,” “Dance The Night Away,” “Runnin’ With The Devil,” and “Unchained.”
Unfortunately, this week has been really busy for me, and I didn’t have the time to play all the parts for each song. I barely had enough time to write this article! So instead, I’ll just link to OsagaTheGreat’s review over on RockBandAide. I’ll give you some brief thoughts on each song, though.
“Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” is rather unforgettable on guitar, though the fact that I really dig the song made it more fun than it actually was.
“And the Cradle will Rock...” was better than “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love”, though not by much. Solo has Eddie being Eddie and just tapping everywhere, though, threw me off a bit.
“Dance the Night Away” was entirely forgettable on guitar, but was a blast to sing.
“Hot for Teacher” is the best song of the week, by far. Guitar was really fun, though understandably super hard. It starts with a super difficult solo, and if you survive that you play the same riff for most of the song. I didn’t care, though, because that riff is really fun to play. Second solo is more fun and manageable than the first. Vocals on this song were incredible. It wasn’t difficult or anything, it was just so much fun to sing. I don’t think I really need to say anything about drums. It’s easily the hardest drum song in the RB4 era, and it kicked my ass. It’s beyond my capabilities, but the general response seems to be that it’s incredibly fun. I consider this one of the definitive songs in RB’s library, and an absolute must-buy.
“Runnin’ with the Devil” is an amazing voxtar song. I’ve been waiting for that song for YEARS, and I’m ecstatic that it’s finally in the game. Not difficult by a long shot, but it has a lot of energy behind it, so I enjoyed the guitar part.
I completely forgot what “Unchained” played like. Probably because it was the song in the pack that interested me the least.
What You Should Buy: “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love”, “Hot for Teacher”, “Runnin’ with the Devil” (though the whole pack is great if you’ve got the money)
Pick of the Week: “Hot for Teacher”
That’s not all of the news this week, either. In the upcoming December 8th patch, Fallout 4’s Vault 111 Suit will be added for free to all players. A bit strange, but also very cool.
And there’s still one bit of news left! GameStop is running a Black Friday promotion. People who buy a Rock Band 4 guitar bundle will get five additional songs for free! They’re previously unreleased, and are as follows:
- Beck - “Dreams”
- BØRNS - “Electric Love”
- Catfish and the Bottlemen - “Cocoon”
- Cold War Kids - “First”
- X Ambassadors - “Renegade”
That’s 5 more modern hits to help better represent modern music in the game. In addition to these, Fall Out Boy’s “Irresistible” was leaked via Xbox Marketplace. It’s not part of the Black Friday bundle, but presumably it’ll come later.
Guitar Hero Live
A major update for Guitar Hero Live went live yesterday. It added 34 songs to GHTV, which includes two premium shows. They are as follows:
- Amaranthe – “Drop Dead Cynical”
- The Amazing Snakeheads – “Here It Comes Again”
- Audioslave – “Like A Stone”
- Chevelle – “Face To The Floor”
- Cinderella – “Shake Me”
- Five Finger Death Punch – “The House of the Rising Sun”
- The Glitch Mob – “Can’t Kill Us”
- Godsmack – “1000hp”
- Great White – “Rock Me”
- Heart – “What About Love?”
- Huey Lewis and the News – “Heart and Soul”
- Jack White – “Sixteen Saltines”
- Jake Bugg – “Slumville Sunrise”
- Judas Priest – “Living After Midnight”
- Kings of Leon – “Supersoaker”
- Lower Than Atlantis – “Here We Go”
- Neon Trees – “I Love You (But I Hate Your Friends)“
- The Outfield – “Your Love”
- Primus – “Jerry Was a Race Car Driver”
- R.E.M. – “Shiny Happy People”
- Rage Against the Machine – “Killing In The Name”
- Robert Palmer – “Addicted To Love”
- Rush – “Fly By Night”
- Sammy Hagar – “I Can’t Drive 55”
- Scott Weiland & The Wildabouts – “Modzilla”
- Sleeping With Sirens – “If You Can’t Hang”
- Tenacious D – “Rize of the Fenix”
- Walk The Moon – “Shut Up And Dance”
And the premium shows:
Dance Meets Rock:
- Knife Party - “Centipede”
- The Prodigy - “Nasty”
- Zedd - “Stache”
Face Melting Metal:
- Atreyu - “So Others May Live”
- Black Veil Brides - “Heart of Fire”
- Escape the Fate - “Issues”
That’s quite a bit! That brings the total GHTV songs to 300! There’s certainly something for everyone in this selection, and it’ll take a while to get through it all. Have fun!
The Black Keys return to Rocksmith with a 5 pack! Songs are available individually for $2.99 USD or as a pack for $11.99 USD. This makes The Black Keys tied with Foo Fighters for second most songs available in the game (11). Jimi Hendrix is number one, with 12, btw. Gameplay videos done by Elison Cruz and Rocksmith Videos.
All songs are in E Standard!
- “Howlin’ for You” (guitar, bass)
- “Little Black Submarines” (guitar, bass)
- “Lonely Boy” (guitar, bass)
- “Thickfreakness” (guitar, bass)
- “Your Touch” (guitar, bass)
Just Dance 2016
Oh hey, Just Dance 2016 got it’s first new song since launch! And it’s... a movie tie-in. Ugh. I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed, but oh well.
- Meghan Trainor - “Better When I’m Dancin’”
And that’s it. I didn’t really have a lot of time to write this, or I would have added a bit more to it.
If you see that I missed something, have a suggestion for future articles, or just want to share in the excitement for the DLC, please leave your comments below! These roundups are every Wednesday evening, as that’s when I tend to get all of this written up.