It seems like a lifetime has passed since I created this column. I’m thinking that, because so much has changed in my life since then, rather than attempting to pick up where I left off, a true reboot is required. To do so, let me start off by telling you just a bit about myself.
- I love music.
- If I am doing just about anything related to my job, my life, or otherwise, you can bet that I have music accompanying that action.
- I love discovering or rediscovering music that I have not listened to.
Now that we have established that, let me get on to the purpose of what I hope is going to be a regular column for me:
I would like the TAY community to help me build playlists that geared towards moments in my life. Some of these moments may be more mundane (daily commute), while others may be more profound (help me feel inspired when life sucks), but rest assured that all will be meaningful to me.
Now that you know the goal, let’s get to the specifics of the kind of music I am looking for.
Each time that I write a post for this segment, I will reach out and ask for your help in gathering a collection of tracks from video games that fulfill the needs of my playlist. In every post, I will get things started by giving you the following:
- The playlist name and theme
- The total length of time of needed for the playlist
- One to three tracks I have chosen that will go on the playlist, along with my justification for those tracks.
If you want to help me build out the playlist, then please provide the following:
- A video game track of your choosing that fits the theme for that week’s playlist, preferably instrumental, but if it has lyrics in it, that’s okay too.
- A link to YouTube, SoundCloud, or another outlet where I can listen to the track.
- The reason you think that it would be a solid addition to that playlist, and why you think it matches the theme perfectly.
You are welcome to submit more than one track, and once I get enough submissions, I will go through them, pick the ones that I feel best exemplify the theme, and start composing the playlist. Once I have finalized it, I will present it in the next post, and I will also introduce the next themed playlist.
Easy enough, right? So, without further ado, let’s get to our first playlist!
Playlist Theme: Exploration
I will be doing exploratory work, R&D, and other tasks wherein I am perusing blog articles, documentation websites, and more as I prepare for the challenging initiatives related to them.
Playlist Runtime: 1 - 3 hours
I want this playlist to be flexible as some days I may only have an hour to do this, while on other days, I may have more time.
- Crossing Those Hills - Final Fantasy IX
- Hyrule Field Theme (Orchestra Version) - Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
- Dreams of the Shore Near Another World - Chrono Cross
I look forward to your submissions, and can’t wait to build this playlist with you!