Welcome to StaTAYtics. TAY’s home for all things numbers. Since the beginning of July 2015 I have been keeping track of the articles and authors on both TAY and her sister site AniTAY. This will be my third full report, you can find the past ones here.
Each of these reports will be broken up into three sections: Articles, Authors and Viewers. I am continuing to refine my methodology, so expect some changes here and there.
There were a total of 525 articles posted to TAY in the month of September. An increase of 8 from August.
- 74 articles were shared from personal Kinja blogs. An increase of 13 from August.
- 44 articles were shared from AniTAY. An increase of 1.
- 26 articles were shared from other Kinja community blogs. An increase of 19.
- 2 articles were shared from one of the main Kinja blogs or one of their immediate subblogs. A decrease of 1.
- 17 articles were shares from social media sites. A decrease of 6.
- 362 articles were TAY originals. A decrease of 18.
169 Articles were shared in the Kotaku Daily Round-up from September. An increase of 8. The first was included in the round-up on September 4th and the last was included on October 5th.
- 95 were TAY originals or 56%. An increase of 10.
- 36 were AniTAY originals or 21%. A decrease of 1.
- 38 were shares from personal sites or 23%. A decrease of 1.
- There were no days without a round-up during September.
Days of Note:
- The day with the most articles was the 17th with 30.
- The day with the most TAY original articles was also the 17th with 20.
- The day with the fewest articles was the 6th with 5.
- The days with the fewest TAY original articles were the 20th and 27th with 4 each.
Break-down of article types: (not included are the social media shares)
- 111 articles were blips*. A decrease of 8.
- 102 articles were forums**. A decrease of 2.
- 14 articles were guides. An increase of 9.
- 42 articles were news. A decrease of 1.
- 82 articles were opinion pieces. An increase of 2.
- 27 articles were reports. An increase of 10.
- 65 articles were reviews. A decrease of 3.
- 14 articles were stories. Same as August.
- 51 articles fell into a variety of other categories (Retrospective, Interview, Music, Round-up, etc.)
*I defined blips as any article that contained blip in the name, did not have a title or were about internal TAY news.
**Forums include the Open Forum, TAY Chat Time, the Graveyard Shift and any question focused articles.
I used this spreadsheet to keep track of articles and authors.
125 authors contributed to TAY this month, an increase of 19. 21 of those authors were guests*, an increase of 8.
The authors who posted the most were:
- Nach with 29 (7 Blips, 9 Forums, 1 News, 12 Social Media Shares)
- Zarnyx with 22 (15 Blips, 3 Forums, 1 Guide, 1 Opinion, 1 Review, 1 Other)
- DistrubedShadow with 17 (2 Blips, 9 Forums, 1 Report, 5 Stories)
The authors that posted the most of each type of article:
- Blip - Zarnyx with 15.
- Forum - Nach and DistrubedShadow with 9 each.
- Guide - Blackcraft with 2.
- News - Eight-Bit Hero with 7.
- Opinion - Spacegar with 5.
- Report - Taurenrider with 5.
- Retrospective - davidvinc with 3
- Total Review - Matt with 7.
- TAY Original Review - Steve Bowling with 5.
- Story - DisturbedShadow with 5.
- Social Media Share - Nach with 12.
Authors that gained TAY authorship in the month of September:
I know I probably missed some of the new authors, so if I missed you or you know of someone not on this list that was added to the TAY author list in September please leave a comment and I will add them.
*Guest are any authors that had an article shared to TAY and do not have authorship.
This following information was gathered from this site. If you are a numbers guy like me you will probably have a lot of fun poking around at all the different information they have on all of the kinja.com subdomains.
- From September 1st to September 30th, TAY was the 3rd most visited* of the kinja.com subdomains accounting for 6.8% of all traffic.
- Global Numbers: 268,300 people visited the site 441,919 times for a total of 591,973 page views. Changes of -11.5%, -9.5% and -11.5% respectively.
- US Numbers: 160,814 people visited the site 278,467 time for a total of 382,330 page views, the percentages are 60%, 63% and 65% respectively.
- Top Countries other than the US by number of viewers: Canada - 22,999; UK - 14,624; Australia - 6,081; Germany - 5,875
- Top States by number of Uniques (Cookies): California - 29,946; New York - 14,198; Texas - 13,433; Florida - 9,424; Illinois - 7,540; Washington - 7,294
- Top Cities by number of Uniques: Singapore - 4,440; New York City - 4,217; Toronto - 3,464; Los Angeles - 3,438; Montreal - 2,979; My hometown of Seattle was 10th with 2,272.
September 1st to September 30th Numbers (Global):
- Busiest** Day: September 23rd had 26,385 people make 29,454 visits for 37,038 page views.
- Least Busy Day: September 26th had 8,476 people make 9,670 visits for 12,704 page views.
*By number of visitors
**Going by total page views.
The above graph shows total number of TAY page views by day during the month of September.
- Addicts, those that visit TAY more than 30 times a month, are less than 1% of viewers and provide 6% of traffic.
- Regulars, those that visit TAY more than once a month, but fewer than 31 times, are 22% of viewers and provide 46% of traffic.
- Passers-by, those that visit only once per month, are 78% of viewers and provide 48% of traffic.
Top 5 Sites Visited by TAY Viewers during this period:
- There were a total of 1538 articles posted to TAY in Q3, at a rate of approximately 16.7 articles per day.
- 1131 of those articles were TAY originals, just over of 73.5%, with a rate of approximately 12.3 per day.
- 182 articles were reviews, just shy 2 per day.
- 490 articles were shared in the Kotaku Round-up that first posted in Q3.
- There were approximately 1,979,366 TAY page views in Q3, an average of 21,515 per day.
The above graph shows total number of TAY page views by day during the months of July to September.
Well, that is everything that I felt like sharing for this month. If there is anything specific you would like me to keep track of in the future please leave a comment, other than that, see you in November.
**Header GIF created by Unimplied**