I'm really feeling it!

TAY! Weekend!!! Whatcha Playing?

Turkey, family, and gaming this weekend...does it get better than that?

Finally polished off Tomb Raider with my wife this week, well polished off at 90%. I doubt I’ll go back and find the other 10% but we had a damn fine time with the game. The game isn’t perfect though. Death means almost nothing and as Rathorial and Astrokid248 were mentioning in another thread, there are some serious issues with the story and characters in the game.


The characters in the game, aside from Lara, really lack any depth and some are stereotyped almost to the point of being offensive. The violence in the game is at odds with Lara’s reluctance for violence and the whole thing ends up feeling a little off-kilter. Rathorial speaks to this issue here better than I could put it.

However, the overall game was so much fun that I can overlook all this. I’ll take a great game with a crappy story and crappy characters any day over a great story and crappy gameplay. It is nice when all the elements come together and give you a truly amazing experience though, but this is why we remember some games more than others. I’m sure Tomb Raider will generally fade over time in my mind, but I’ll definitely remember it for being an absolute pleasure to play.


I played yet more The Lord of the Rings: War in the North with my friend on our weekly session. *Sigh*, for such a great game it is just killing me with the crappy inventory management. No repair all feature, no real comparison feature in shops to see how an item compares to your current gear, and a real lack of polish overall in the interface. I generally hate screwing around with inventories at the best of times, but this one is one of the worst I’ve had the (mis)pleasure of messing around with in a long while.


Also got some good sessions of Bioshock Infinite under my belt. I definitely don’t like it nearly as much as Bioshock and System Shock 2. The theme and setting don’t thrill me and I never feel tense in the game. Even on hard the battles are kind of by the numbers and while the vigors are cool, it is definitely as sense of "been there, done that". I know it is another Bioshock game so similarities have to exist, but I think I liked Bioshock 2 more than Infinite and Irrational had nothing to do with Bioshock 2. I guess Rapture and the Splicers were just far more interesting source material.


Infinite is still loads better than most of the mediocre shooters I play, but Infinite would not (so far) sit in my Top 10 All-Time Favourites like System Shock 2 and Bioshock. Also, I’m pretty sure I overhyped Infinite to myself, so maybe my opinion of the game will improve when I have more time to reflect on it.

So, it is Thanksgiving here in Canada this weekend and time for a feast. Long weekend to get extra gaming in and family around to play with me. Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian brothers and sisters. So looking forward to some pumpkin pie!


Hopefully you are having a great weekend no matter where you are.

What are you playing this weekend? (like I need to ask with all the Pokemon headlines)


Happy poking or whatever it is you do to the man.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter