With the Steam sale winding down (2 days of encore deals?! Whatever, Steam...), I thought it might be fun to take a look at what we all bought and see what the damage looks like.
I actually was thinking the first couple of days of this sale that I wasn't going to buy much of anything. The number of daily/flash deals doesn't seem to be increasing. Thus, as the number of games on Steam grows, the chances that any game I want is going to be on sale is going to decrease.
How wrong I was! Let's survey my personal tally:
- Rise of Nations: Extended Edition - (Wishlist) I have the original version of this, and it's probably in my top 2 favorite RTS'es of all time, up there next to Company of Heroes. I'll probably go on a nostalgia trip at some point soon.
- Valiant Hearts: The Great War - I've heard good things about this game, although I'll admit to not having a lot of knowledge about what kind of game it is or what it's about.
- Shadow Warrior - Confession time: when I was younger I thought the original game was funny. I've sinced realized it's horribly racist, among other things. I hear the remake manages to capture a lot of the brutal charm without the casual racism.
- Octodad: Dadliest Catch - Here's another one I've heard interesting things about. It looks silly, and I like silly!
- Spore - Okay, kind of ashamed of this one. I figure it's a "play it once, laugh at it, and then uninstall" kind of thing. Does anyone else remember the hype around this game? Also, remember when Maxis made good games? Good times.
- Payday 2 - (wishlist) One of my old clan buddies has been talking this one up. I probably should have convinced EB to grab a copy, since we tend to co-op.
- Age of Wonders 3 - (wishlist) It was between this and Endless Legend. Despite my love for turn-based strategy, I could not get into Endless Space for whatever reason, so I opted for this instead. I will probably grab Endless Legend on some future sale.
- Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Another guilty pleasure. I used to own the record of the Ghostbusters soundtrack, back before my youngest brother shattered it because he was mad at me. :(
- Super Time Force Ultra - I had this on my wishlist, and then pulled it after trying the demo on the 360. It was only $5 though, and my impulse control was not working properly. Toss it on the pile!
- Transistor - (wishlist) This was one I was REALLY looking forward to grabbing, so I was super psyched that it went on sale like I was hoping.
- Invisible, Inc - (wishlist) I am a big fan of Klei's work, and Mark of the Ninja was my favorite. I was telling myself I'd wait for release (or try and talk them into letting me review it) but it went on sale and I couldn't say no...
- The Stanley Parable - I played the mod version of this game, and I loved it. It's one of my favorite "walking simulators." I'm sure I'll enjoy the standalone version, and I think those guys probably deserve a couple of my bucks at any rate.
- I also picked up Assassin's Creed 4 and Tales of the Borderlands from Ubisoft's sale. I hear AC4 is one of the high points of the AC series, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm also a big fan of Borderlands AND Telltale, so TotB is a no-brainer.
I think I came away $100 in the hole this time around, yikes! I've been keeping my wallet in a death grip all year, so it was nice to let go a bit. Plus I had unspent birthday/Christmas funds. Hopefully this will carry me through for a while, too. Plus, tax deduction, heck yeah!
I was hoping for a deep discount on Road Not Taken, but that one will have to wait, I suppose. Watch_Dogs and Shadow of Mordor both went on sale, but I'm still holding out for a better deal on both. I think, though, that this is the most of my wishlist I've ever cleared in a single sale!
If you've gone into a Steam sale fugue and can't remember what you bought, or if like me you bought a bunch of gift passes you plan to redeem later (trick #3 FTW), click here for your transactions page.