Why 2013 Should Be Year of The Generation: Despite all the fan-wars, any gamer should be able to agree on one thing; 2013 was a hell of a year for gaming. Developers provided us excellent games, and for the first time every platform got AAA's. From the Nintendo Wii U, to the PS Vita and PC, we all got amazing titles no matter the platform.
Too many great games were released in 2013, and all served a different purpose.
- Bioshock Infinite and Beyond: Two Souls each told a beautiful story.
- The Last of Us had an amazing story, though was also able to combine it with great gameplay mechanics.
- Grand Theft Auto V served as a great open-world action shooter that provided endless amounts of fun.
- Tomb Raider provided you an Action/Adventure game with hints of Horror/Survival elements of a game with an enticing story as a reboot to an amazing series.
- Ni No Kuni was your fun JRPG that provided great combat elements with beautiful writing.
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was an open world Action/Adventure type game that was a huge step-up from previous franchise installments.
- Super Mario 3D World was one of the most critically acclaimed 3D Plat-formers of this year as well, debuting exclusively for the Wii U.
- Indies also stole the show on PC with Gone Home, The Stanley Parable and Papers, Please.
Lesser Popularized games came in forms of sequels and platform Exclusives.
PlayStation brought multiple sequels and a single prequel as:
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, sequel to Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves.
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus, the final game in the "Future" series.
- Grand Turismo 6, successor to Grand Turismo 5.
- God of War: Ascension, prequel to God of War.
Xbox in 2013 brought:
- Gears of War: Judgment, a prequel to Gears of War.
The Wii U also had some great games in 2013 which include:
- The Wonderful 101, a brand new IP.
- Pikmin 3, sequel to Pikmin 2.
- The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker, HD remake of the original GameCube game.
- Lego City Undercover, a new standalone game in the Lego franchise of games.
A couple great Multi-Platform games released too, which were:
- Dead Space 3, the third game in the franchise and sequel to Dead Space 2.
- Arkham Origins, prequel to Arkham Asylum and the third game in the Arkham Saga.
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengence, spin-off game in the Metal Gear Solid franchise.
- Rayman: Legends, sequel to 2011's Rayman: Origins.
- Crysis 3, sequel to Crysis 2.
Mobile platforms also got plenty of attention. The 3DS and PS Vita got a killer amount of games, and most arguably the first year the Vita has gotten some real attention.
For PS Vita we had:
- Killzone: Mercenary
3DS also received:
- Fire Emblem: Awakening
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- Pokémon X/Y
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
- Mario & Luigi Dream Team
The gaming industry also received two new Next-Generation gaming consoles that joined the Wii U in the Eighth Generation of Gaming.
- The PlayStation 4
- The Xbox ONE
This year gaming reached a pinnacle and 2013 was a great year and transition from one generation to the next.