Good evening TAY and welcome to Word of the Day, my new column! In WotD we'll be learning a new word for each working day of the week, bar holidays, unless there's a holiday special! So join me in my dictionary journey!
Today's word is:
- Something crescent-shaped, in particular
- An arched aperture or window, esp. one in a domed ceiling.
- A crescent-shaped or semicircular alcove containing something such as a painting or statue.
- A fortification with two faces forming a projecting angle, and two flanks.
- Christian Church: a holder for the consecrated host in a monstrance.
ORIGIN late 16th cent. (denoting a semicircular horseshoe): from French, diminutive of lune 'moon,' from Latin luna.