Good evening and welcome to Word of the Day! A journey through the English vocabulary and the words that piqued my interest, in WotD we'll be learning a new word for each working day of the week, bar holidays, unless there's a holiday special...
Today's word is:
- (of a person) Subject to sudden or unpredictable changes of mood or mind : his mercurial temperament.
- Of or containing the element mercury.
- ( Mercurial) Of the planet Mercury.
- (of a person) Sprightly; lively.
noun (usu. mercurials)
- A drug or other compound containing mercury.
ORIGIN: late Middle English (Sense 3): from Latin mercurialis 'relating to the god Mercury,' from Mercurius 'Mercury.' Sense 1 dates from the mid 17th cent.
I never thought Mercurial would have any other use apart from the 2nd and 3rd use, and to be honest I didn't choose today's word, Timehacker brought it up last night and after searching the meaning I thought it would be a perfect word ^^' it kinda struck me how you can also use the word to describe someone's personality.