Good evening and welcome to Tool Week on Word of the Day! A journey through the English vocabulary and the words that
piqued my interest are the titles of Tool songs, in WotD we'll be learning a new word for each working day of the week, except holidays, unless there's a holiday special...
Nach is slowly mutating into Florida Man so I'm here to host Word of the Day this week. Nach has previously featured the titles of the Tool songs Schism and Vicarious here on Word of the Day but this week you will get to learn five more!
Today's word is:
- sparing in the use of food and drink; not addicted to intoxicating drink; not drunk
- marked by sedate or gravely or earnestly thoughtful character or demeanor
- unhurried; calm
- marked by temperance, moderation, or seriousness
- subdued in tone or color
- showing no excessive or extreme qualities of fancy, emotion, or prejudice
- to make sober; to become sober
Also, track three on Tool's debut album Undertow
"Why can't we not be sober?
I just want to start this over
Why can't we drink forever?
I just want to start this over"
ORIGIN: 14th cent.: Middle English sobre, from Anglo-French, from Latinsobrius; akin to Latin ebrius drunk